.gitignore file can affect the behavior of uploaded reports and make them unusable - I didn’t see this documented in the parts explaining how to integrate using GitHub actions.
I know because:
- in February 2020 I tried to give Codecov a try for my public projects in GitHub, and I wasn’t able to make them work in any way
- a few days ago I decided to try a second time, and I succeeded to configure Codecov in this project
- then I tried again to configure Codecov for the project that was failing in February, and it was failing in the same way (i.e. reports uploaded successfully but failed to parse)
I later noticed that this was caused by my
.gitignore file, which came from a generic template from Azure DevOps for Python projects.
Click to expand and see the .gitignore file
# Byte-compiled / optimized / DLL files __pycache__/ *.py[cod] *$py.class # C extensions *.so .vscode # Distribution / packaging .Python build/ develop-eggs/ dist/ downloads/ eggs/ .eggs/ lib/ lib64/ parts/ sdist/ var/ wheels/ *.egg-info/ .installed.cfg *.egg MANIFEST # PyInstaller # Usually these files are written by a python script from a template # before PyInstaller builds the exe, so as to inject date/other infos into it. *.manifest *.spec # Installer logs pip-log.txt pip-delete-this-directory.txt # Unit test / coverage reports htmlcov/ .tox/ venv htmlcov .coverage .coverage.* .cache nosetests.xml coverage.xml *.cover .hypothesis/ .pytest_cache/ # Translations *.mo *.pot # Django stuff: *.log local_settings.py db.sqlite3 # Flask stuff: instance/ .webassets-cache # Scrapy stuff: .scrapy # Sphinx documentation docs/_build/ # PyBuilder target/ # Jupyter Notebook .ipynb_checkpoints # pyenv .python-version # celery beat schedule file celerybeat-schedule # SageMath parsed files *.sage.py # Environments .env .venv env/ venv/ ENV/ env.bak/ venv.bak/ # Spyder project settings .spyderproject .spyproject # Rope project settings .ropeproject # mkdocs documentation /site # mypy .mypy_cache/ .idea test-cov.xml test-output.xml */*.py,cover junit
When I updated my .gitignore file to look like the following, reports started working (for example, for this other project):
.vscode venv htmlcov .coverage __pycache__ *.egg-info *.tar.gz .mypy_cache
You can see in the GitHub workflow files how I am using Codecov.
Initially reported here: https://github.com/codecov/codecov-bash/issues/376
- I think that your website is not done according to GDPR because back in February I requested my account to be deleted, yet when I signed-up again a few days ago it recalled the two projects I was playing around in February - meaning that your system was able to match again my email address to the project under
- The project
/RobertoPrevato/rodiat Codecov.io is in a broken state (reports are uploaded but then your server returns 500 Internal Error when I try to navigate to the results page - see here). A few days ago I used the interface to have this project deleted. The UI says it’s scheduled for deletion but doesn’t say anything when it will be deleted. I would like to delete information on your side to recreate it from scratch and try to integrate again.